Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sheldon in the House


We have been lucky to have back to back weekends with our little baby girl.  Sheldon and the Brit made the long trek to Phoenix this weekend for Mommy’s Day.  Hooray!!!! It’s about Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I mean, so wonderful to see the kids.  The added bonus was it was the Big Tuna and my anniversary.   Yup, that’s right, I shoot the whole wad of celebration in a 8 day period time. Nada for me until Christmas.  Feel free to send bottles of wine in order to drown my sorrows.



Last weekend, the Big Tuna and I trekked our way to Palm Springs to meet Sheldon and the Brit at the sort of halfway mark between Phoenix and Orange County for my birthday. The real center meet up is a little more like Blythe, trust me, you don’t want to get to know Blythe.  Picture a truck weigh station, police barracks and a sad Burger King, Facebook check-in marks it as “at Middle of Nowhere AZ”. Believe me there isn’t diddly squat between here and there. 



It had been over a month since we’d last saw the newlyweds, naturally I wanted to have a girls sleepover with me, leaving the men to share a king size bed.  Those meanies weren’t having any of that.  Sniff, likely because they both snore and didn’t want to keep each other awake. I’m sure that’s it. But that’s not to say they didn’t have bromance time. While Sheldon and I went shopping, they caught the 10 AM Ironman 3 movie.  They made a little confession at lunch, they’d eaten Burger King Whopper’s rather than traditional popcorn when watching the movie with all the other 12 year olds.  Here is a special salad my Sistah made for us today.

Spinach-Basil Salad
6 cup spinach leaves washed
1 cup fresh basil washed in ripped in ½ inch pieces
½ cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic minced
½ cup pine nuts
4 ounces prosciutto
Black pepper to taste
¾ cup parmesan cheese

Toss spinach and basil in large bowl. Heat oil in sauté pan, add garlic and nuts until nuts brown. Stir in prosciutto and sauté one minute, add pepper. Add warm dressing to spinach and basil. Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.

The four hour drive certainly brings interesting conversations…..and interesting personal hygiene observations. As I sat with my feet propped on the dash with the sun beating down on the windshield I notice a few golden hair patches missed on my legs. Ah well, I scoffed, they’re very blond, I’m sure just easily missed since I can’t wear my reading glasses in the shower. No biggie right? Until I notice that apparently, I haven’t been doing such a swell job on the back of my legs for who knows how long.  Frick, you could braid that shit. I got a god damn mullet on the back of my legs.  Ughhhhhhh.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

U should rite sitcoms!

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

sadly, you aren't alone with the "leg mullet" lol!!
HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY and sooo happy you had a wonderful Mother's Day1

Red Nomad OZ said...

Whoa! You're slipping ... that salad looks almost healthy!!!

AND that 287 miles of nothing looks a helluva lot like the Australian Outback! Are you SURE you didn't fall through a hole in the centre of the earth???

mamahasspoken said...

My saving grace with the leg hair thing: thanks to menopause, the hairs on my legs are more sparse.
We have some of those type places in KY too. However, when you reach those parts, one can hear the banjos playing......

Empty Nester said...

Wow! Lots and lots to be celebrating! Happy happy on everything! That 'middle of nowhere' is sort of creepy.

Mommy Bags said...

So making this salad tonight......

Janie Junebug said...

I'm so glad you get to see Sheldon regularly, and the part about the back of your legs is hilarious.

Love,
Janie

Andrea said...

Ooooooh, party in/on the back!! That salad sound yummy (as I am sure it was, since I doubt you would give us the recipe for disaster!)

Ms. G said...

Happy Everything except Christmas!
I have one spot on my legs I miss Every Time. Know it's there-still fuzzy.

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

Well SOMEONE looks just like their mother! I *never* check the backs of my legs, either.

Marianne said...

HA!! Be grateful you're blond. My legs look like Michael Jackson's dead monkey.

Too soon?

Hilarious post.

julie gardner said...

We blondes have to remember to stay out of the sunlight.

Like vampires.
With hairy legs.

DB Stewart said...

Nice gem at the end of your post. Hilarious.

Claire Justine said...

Thanks for sharing with us at welcome to the weekend blog hop :)

Hilary said...

love the end... I can so relate. I just had foot surgery and shaving was quite hard.... I freaked myself out more times than not

Carole said...

boy that country sure is empty! A bit different from Nassau that I posted about! Like your salad too. Cheers

Jennie said...

I'm totally making that salad!

jennie said...

I'm totally making that salad!

The Defiant Marshmallow said...

I know I'm late with this, but Happy Anniversary and hope you had a great time with the newlyweds!

lee said...

that salad sounds good, but I think I needs bacon!

Vapid Vixen said...

HAHAAAA!! I've totally done that. Didn't even realize leg hair could GET that long until the sun hits it at just the right angle.

Twisted Susan said...

One afternoon I found myself standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona. I recall it as being like that state's armpit.